WANG Yong, Male, Institute of Deep-Sea Science and Engineering
Address: Luhuitou 28, Jiyang District, Sanya city
Microbial communities in deep-sea environments
Microbiol genomics and evolution
Molecular evolution of microbial genomes
09/1993-06/1997 Lanzhou University, B.S. in Biochemistry, Dept. of Biology, China
09/1997-06/2000 Zhejiang University, M. S. in Marine Biotechnology, China
01/2001-12/2003 The University of Hong Kong, Ph.D. in Molecular Evolution and Bioinformatics
05/2004-12/2007 Postdoctoral Fellow, Genome Research Centre and Department of Zoology, The University of Hong Kong
01/2008-10/2008 Senior Research Assistant, Department of Microbiology, University of Hong Kong
02/2009-02/2012 Postdoctoral Fellow, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia
03/2012-08/2013 Postdoctoral Fellow, Division of Life Science, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
08/2013-present Senior Scientist, Institute of Deep Sea Science and Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Sanya, China
Honors & Distinctions
The second prize of National Natural Science Award (ranking 3rd)
Excellence prize of 'one hundred talents' program of CAS
1. Wang Y, Liu BQ, Luo QJ, Fei ZQ, Pei LQ, and Xue QZ. 2000. RAPD analysis of genetic variation among Porphyra haitanensis strains. Periodical of Ocean University of China. 30: 225-229. (In Chinese)
2. Luo BQ, Pei LQ, Pan SY, Wang Y, and Fei ZQ. 2002. Utilization of inorganic carbon in free-living conchocelis of Porphyra haitanensis. Journal of Fisheries of China 26: 477-480. (In Chinese)
3. Wang Y, Pei LQ, Luo Q J, Liu BQ, Fei ZQ, and Xue QZ. 2002. DNA extraction from Porphyra conchocelis. ACTA Oceanologica Sinica 24:146-148. (In Chinese)
4. Xia X, Xie Z, Salemi M, Chen L and Wang Y. 2003. An index of substitution saturation and its application. Molecular phylogenetics and evolution 26: 1-7.
5. Zeng FY, Chan CW, Chan MN, Chen JD, Chow KY, Hon CC, Hui KH, Li J, Li VY, Wang CY, Wang PY, Guan Y, Zheng B, Poon LL, Chan KH, Yuen KY, Peiris JS and Leung FC. 2003. The complete genome sequence of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus strain HKU-39849 (HK-39). Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 228:866-873.
6. Wang Y and Leung FCC. 2004. An evaluation of new criteria for CpG islands in the human genome as gene markers. Bioinformatics 20:1170-1177.
7. Wang Y, Rocha EPC, Leung FCC, and Danchin A. 2004. Cytosine methylation is not the major factor inducing CpG dinucleotide deficiency in bacterial genomes. Journal of Molecular Evolution 58:692-71
8. Wang Y, and Leung FCC. 2004. DNA structure constraint is probably a fundamental factor inducing CpG deficiency in bacteria. Bioinformatics 22:3336-3345.
9. Wang Y, and Leung FCC. 2006. Long inverted repeats in eukaryotic genomes: Recombinogenic motifs determine genomic plasticity. FEBS Letters 580: 1277-1284.
10. Wang Y, Wang ZG, Li J, Wang YJ and Leung FCC. 2007. Database for chicken full-length cDNAs. Physiological Genomics 28: 141-145.
11. Wang Y, Fong PY, Leung FCC, Mak W, and Sham PC. 2007 Increased gene coverage and Alu frequency in large linkage disequilibrium blocks of the human genome. Genetics and Molecular Research 6: 1131-1141.
12. Wang Y, Zeng F, Hon CC, Zhang YZ, and Leung FCC. 2008. The mitochondrial genome of Pleurotus ostreatus (oyster mushroom). FEMS Microbiology Letters 280: 34-41.
13. Wang Y and Leung FCC. 2008. GC content increased at CpG flanking positions of fish genes compared with sea squirt orthologs as a mechanism for reducing impact of DNA methylation. PLoS ONE 3: e3612
14. Wang Y, and Leung FCC. 2008. Loss of CpG sites in GC-poor regions of vertebrate genomes: An indication of context-dependent mutagenicity of methylated CpG sites. Genomics, Proteomics & Bioinformatics 3-4: 144-154
15. Wang Y, and Leung FCC. 2009. A study on genomic distribution and sequence features of human long inverted repeats reveals species-specific intronic stem-loops. FEBS Journal 276: 1986-1998
16. Wang, Y. and F. C. C. Leung. 2009. Acquisition of inverted GSTM exons by an intron of primate GSTM5 gene. Journal of Human Genetics 54: 271-276
17. Wang, Y. and Leung FCC. 2009. In silico prediction of two classes of honeybee genes with CpG deficiency or CpG enrichment and sorting according to gene ontology classes. Journal of Molecular Evolution 68: 700-705
18. Wang Y, and Leung FCC. 2009. Comparative genomic study on context-dependence of CpG mutations: Acceleration effect of 5’ T nucleotides and new evidence of strand asymmetry in genes. Online Journal of Bioinformatics 10: 165-179
19. Wang Y, and Leung FCC. 2009. Discovery of a long inverted repeat in human POTE genes. Genomics 94: 278-283
20. Wang Y, and Qian PY. 2009. Conservative fragments in bacterial 16S rRNA genes and primer design for 16S ribosomal DNA amplicons in metagenomic studies. PLoS ONE 4: e7401.
21. Zhang HM, Zhao CQ, Li X, Zhu Y, Gan CS, Wang Y, Ravasi T, Qian PY, Wong SC, Sze SK, 2010. Study of monocyte membrane proteome perturbation during lipopolysaccharide-induced tolerance using iTRAQ-based quantitative proteomic approach. Proteomics 10: 2780-2789
22. Qian PY*, Wang Y, Lee OO, Yang JK, Lau SCK, Abdulaziz S and Wong T. 2011. Vertical stratification of microbial communities in the Red Sea. ISME J. 5: 507-518.
23. Lee OO, Wang Y, Yang JK, Al-Suwailem A, Qian PY*. 2011. Pyrosequencing reveals highly diverse and species-specific microbial communities in sponges from the Red Sea. ISME J. 5: 650-664.
24. Wang Y, Yang JK, Lee OO, Dash S, Lau SCK, Al-Suwailem A, Wong TYH, Qian PY*. 2011. Hydrothermally generated aromatic compounds are consumed by bacteria colonizing in Atlantis II Deep of the Red Sea. ISME J. 5: 1652-1659.
25. Wang Y, Yang JK, Lee OO, Lau SCK, Wong TYH, Al-Suwailem A, Danchin A, Qian PY*. 2011 Bacterial niche-specific genome expansion is coupled with highly frequent gene disruptions in deep-sea sediments. PLoS ONE e29149.
26. Lee OO, Yang JK, Bougouffa S, Wang Y, Batang Z, Tian RM, Al-Suwailem A, and Qian PY*，2012. Spatial and Species Variations in Bacterial Communities Associated with Corals from the Red Sea as Revealed by Pyrosequencing. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 78: 7173-7184.
27. Arellano SM, Lee OO, Lafi FF, Yang JK, Wang Y, Young CM, Qian PY*, 2013. Deep sequencing of Myxilla (Ectyomyxilla) methanophila, an epibiotic sponge on cold-seep tubeworms, reveals methylotrophic, thiotrophic, and putative hydrocarbon-degrading microbial associations. Microb Eco. 64: 450-461.
28. Wang Y, Cao HL, Zhang GS, Bougouffa S, Lee OO, Al-Suwailem A, Qian PY*, 2013. Autotrophic microbe metagenomes and metabolic pathways differentiate adjacent red sea brine pools. Sci. Rep. 3: 17481
30. Bougouffa S, Yang JK, Lee OO, Wang Y , Batang Z, Al-Suwailem A, Qian PY*. 2013. Distinctive microbial community structure in highly stratified deep-sea brine water columns. Appl. Env. Microbiol. 79: 3425-3437
31. Zhang WP, Wang Y, Lee OO, Tian RM, Cao HL, Gao ZM, Li YX, Yu L, Xu Y, Qian PY*. 2013. Adaptation of intertidal biofilm communities is driven by metal ion and oxidative stresses. Sci Rep. 3: 3180 (共同第一作者)
32. Lee OO, Chung HC, Yang J, Wang Y, Wang H, Qian PY*. 2014. Molecular techniques revealed highly diverse microbial communities in natural marine biofilms on polystyrene dishes for invertebrate larval settlement. Microb Eco. 68: 81-93.
33. Lee OO, Wang Y, Tian RM, Zhang WP, Shek CS, Bougouffa S, Al-Suwailem A, Batang ZB, Xu W, Wang GC, Zhang XX, Lafi FF, Bajic VB, Qian PY*, 2014. In situ environment rather than substrate type dictates microbial community structure of biofilms in a cold seep system. Sci Rep. 4: 3587 (共同第一作者)
34. Wang Y, Zhang WP, Cao HL, Shek CS, Tian RM, Wong YH, Batang Z, Al-Suwailem A, Qian PY*. 2014. Diversity and distribution of eukaryotic microbes in and around a brine pool adjacent to the Thuwal cold seeps in the Red Sea. Front Microbiol. 5:37
35. Cao HL, Wang Y, Lee OO, Zeng X, Shao ZZ, Qian PY*. 2014. Microbial Sulfur Cycle in Two Hydrothermal Chimneys on the Southwest Indian Ridge. mBio 5(1):e00980-13.
36. Wang Y, Tian RM, Gao ZM, Bougouffa S, He LS, and Qian PY*. 2014. Optimal eukaryotic 18S and universal 16S/18S ribosomal RNA primers and their application in a study of symbiosis. PLoS ONE 9: e90053.
37. Gao ZM, Wang Y, Tian RM, Wong YH, Batang ZB, Al-Suwailem AM, Bajice VB, Qian PY*. 2014. Symbiotic adaptation drives genome streamlining of the cyanobacterial sponge symbiont candidatus Synechococcus spongiarum. mBio. 5(2): e00079.
38. Tian RM, Wang Y, Bougouffa S, Gao ZM, Cai L, Bajic V, Qian PY*. 2014. Genomic analysis reveals versatile heterotrophic capacity of a potentially symbiotic sulfur-oxidizing bacterium in sponge. Environ. Microbiol. 16: 3548-3561. (共同第一作者).
39. Zhang P, Wang Y, Tian RM, Bougouffa S, Yang B, Cao HL, Zhang G, Wong YH, Xu W, Batang Z, Alsuwailem A, Zhang XX, Qian PY*. 2014. Species sorting during biofilm assembly by artificial substrates deployed in a cold seep system. Sci. Rep. 4:6647.
40. Zhang WP, Bougouffa S, Wang Y, Lee OO, Yang JK, Chan C, Song XY, Qian PY*. 2014. Toward Understanding the Dynamics of Microbial Communities in an Estuarine System. PLOS ONE. 9: e94449.
41. Tian RM, Wang Y, Bougouffa S, Gao ZM, Cai L, Zhang WP, Bajic V, Qian PY*. 2014. Effect of Copper Treatment on the Composition and Function of the Bacterial Community in the Sponge Haliclona cymaeformis. mBio. 5: e01980.
42. Gao ZM, Wang Y, Lee OO, Tian RM, Wong YH, Bougouffa S, Batang Z, Al-Suwailem A, Lafi FF, Bajic VB, Qian PY*. 2014. Pyrosequencing reveals the microbial communities in the Red Sea sponge Carteriospongia foliascens and their impressive shifts in abnormal tissues. Microb. Eco, 68: 621-32.
43. Tian RM, Lee OO, Wang Y, Cai L, Bougouffa S, Chiu JMY, Wu RSS , Qian PY*, 2015. Effect of polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) treatment on the composition and function of the bacterial community in the sponge Haliclona cymaeformis. Front Microbiol 5: 799.
44.Yang B, Zhang W, Tian R, Wang Y, Qian PY*. 2015. Changing composition of microbial communities indicates seepage fluid difference of the Thuwal Seeps in the Red Sea. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek, 108(2):461-471.
45. Gao ZM, Wang Y, Tian RM, Lee OO, Wong TH, Batang ZB, Al-Suwailem A, Lafi FF, Bajic VB, Qian PY*. 2015. Pyrosequencing revealed shifts of prokaryotic communities between healthy and disease-like tissues of the Red Sea sponge Crella cyathophora. PeerJ, 3: e890.
46. Cao H, Zhang W, Wang Y, Qian PY. 2015*. Microbial community changes along the active seepage site of one cold seep in the Red Sea. Front Microbiol. 6:739.
47.Zhang WP, Wang Y, Bougouffa S, Tian RM, Cao HL, Li YX, Cai L, Wong YH, Zhang G, Zhou GW, Zhang XX, Bajic VB, Al-suwailem A, Qian PY*. 2015. Synchronized dynamics of bacterial niche-specific functions during biofilm development in a cold seep brine pool. Environmental Microbiology, 17(10): 4089-4104.
48. Wang Y, Li JT, He LS, Yang B, Gao ZM, Cao HL, Batang Z, Al-Suwailem A, Qian PY*. 2015. Zonation of Microbial Communities by a Hydrothermal Mound in the Atlantis II Deep (the Red Sea). Plos ONE, 10(10): e0140766.
49. Wang Y, Gao ZM, Xu Y, Li GY, He LS, Qian PY*. 2016. An evaluation of multiple annealing and looping based genome amplification using a synthetic bacterial community. ACTA Oceanol Sin, 35: 131-136.
50. Wang Y, Huang JM, Wang SL, Gao ZM, Zhang AQ, Danchin A*, He LS*. 2016. Genomic characterization of symbiotic mycoplasmas from the stomach of deep-sea isopod bathynomus sp. Environmental Microbiology, 18(8): 13411.
51. Wang Y, Gao ZM, Li JT, Bougouffa S, Tian RM, Bajic VB, Qian PY*. 2016. Draft genome of a bacterium in the phylum Aerophobetes (CD12) reveals a facultative lifestyle in deep-sea anaerobic sediments. Science Bulletin, 61: 1176-1186.
52. Wang Y*, Li TG, Wang MY, Lai QL, Li JT, Gao ZM, Shao ZZ, Qian PY*. 2016. Archive of bacterial community in anhydrite crystals from a deep-sea basin provides evidence of past oil-spilling in a benthic environment in the Red Sea. Biogeoscience, 13, 6405-6417.
Microbial composition in deep-sea environments and extreme conditions;
Molecular evolution of microbial species;
Genomic characteristics of extremophiles
Pei LQ, Wang Y and Xue QZ. 2000 RAPD analysis of genetic variation in seaweed Porphyra haitanensis. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Marine Biotechnology. 6-8 December, Qingdao, China, 95.
Lee OO, Yang J, Wang Y, Batang Z, Al-Suwailem A, Qian PY. 2011, Pyrosequencing reveals spatial and species variations in bacterial communities associated with corals from the Red Sea. The 4th Congress of European Microbiologists, Geneva, Switzerland
Wang Y, Gao ZM, Xu Y, He LS, Qian PY. 2014. An Evaluation of Multiple Annealing and Looping Based Amplification (MALBAC) Using a Synthetic Bacterial Community. The 10th Asian Pacific Conference of Marine Biotechnology. Taipei, May 4-8
Wang Y, Danchin A, He LS. 2016. Symbiotic mycoplasmas from the stomach of deep-sea isopod bathynomus sp. The 5th international workshop of Deep-sea microbiology. Kyoto, Japan.
Wang Y. and Leung F.C. 2003 An evaluation of new criteria for CpG islands in the genome as gene markers. The 11th International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology. 29 June – 3 July, Brisbane, Australia
Wang Y. Wang Z.G. and Leung F. C. 2006 A database for chicken full-length cDNAs. Annual Meeting of Poultry Science Association, 2006, Edmonton, Canada
Wang Y., Yang J. K., O. O. Lee, S. C. K. Lau, T. Wong, Pei-Yuan Qian 2010 Brine-filled Atlantis II Deep in the Red Sea: A new hydrothermal ecosystem induces genetic isolation among bacterial inhabitants under compositional shifts. Annual Meeting of American Society of Microbiology, San Diego, US
Wang Y., Yang J. K., Lee O.O., Al-Suwailem A., Danchin A., Qian P.-Y. 2011, Bacterial lineage-specific genome expansion is coupled with highly frequent gene disruptions in the sediments in a deep-sea brine pool. The 4th Congress of European Microbiologists, 2011, Geneva, Switzerland
Lee O.O., H.C. Chung, J. Yang, Y. Wang, S. Dash, P.-Y. Qian. 2011. Microbial community and chemical profiles of natural biofilms dictate larval settlement preference of the barnacle Balanus amphitrite. The 4th Congress of European Microbiologists, Geneva, Switzerland
Wang Y. Zhaoming Gao, Pei-yuan Qian. 2015. Genomics of an Aerophobetes bacterium (CD12) indication of an anaerobic facultative lifestyle in cold seeps. The 14th Deep Sea Biology Symposium. Aveiro, Portugal
Wang Yong, Gao Zhao-Ming, Pei-Yuan Qian, 2016. Archive of bacterial community in anhydrite crystals from a deep-sea basin provides evidence of past oil-spilling in a benthic environment in the Red Sea. The 16th ISME international conference. Montreal, Canada.
Master students: Wu Yuzhi; Yuan Ke
PhD students: Cui Guojie; Huang Jiaomei; Li Wenli, Zhou Yingli, Li Qingmei