Experimental studies of chemical reaction dynamics at gas/surface interfaces using infrared spectroscopy techniques, including Reflection Absorption Infrared Spectroscopy (RAIRS), Infrared Laser-Induced Fluorescence spectroscopy (IR LIF), etc
2008-2012 Ph.D. in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering,
École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland
2004-2008 M.S. in Physics, Peking University, Beijing, China
2000-2004 B.S. in Physics, Huazhong University of Science &Technology (HUST), Wuhan,
Associate Professor (Oct. 2018 – present)
State Key Laboratory of Molecular Reaction Dynamics, Dalian institute of chemical physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Dalian, China
Research: Reaction dynamics in catalysis studied by ultrafast time-resolved infrared chemiluminescence spectroscopy using superconducting nanowire single-photon detectors (SNSPDs).
Post-doctoral Fellow and Visiting Scientist (Sep. 2012 – Sep.2018)
Research (with Dirk Schwarzer & Alec M.Wodtke): Proof of principle implementation of the new SNSPD technology in surface molecular science for ultra-sensitive and nanosecond time-resolved mid-infrared laser induced fluorescence spectroscopy.
Ph.D. Research (Aug. 2008 – Sep.2012)
Chemistry Department, École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland
Research (with Rainer D. Beck): Design and development of gas-surface reaction scattering ultra-high vacuum apparatus for quantum state-resolved reactivity study of methane dissociation on Pt(111) using reflection-absorption infrared spectroscopy (RAIRS).
M.S. Research (Sep. 2004 – Jul.2008)
Research (with Jiang Hongbing & Gong Qihuang): filament propagation of femtosecond laser pulse in lithium niobate crystals and the ultra-fast carrier dynamics probed with femtosecond time-resolved pump-probe absorption imaging technique.
- Jascha A. Lau, Li Chen, Arnab Choudhury, Dirk Schwarzer, Varun B. Verma, Alec M. Wodtke, “Transporting and concentrating vibrational energy to promote isomerization.” Nature 2020 (in press)
- Li Chen*, Jascha A. Lau, Dirk Schwarzer, Jörg Meyer, Varun B. Verma, Alec M. Wodtke*, "The Sommerfeld ground-wave limit for a molecule adsorbed at a surface." Science 2019, 363(6423): 158-161.
- Lau, J. A., Arnab Choudhury, Li Chen, Dirk Schwarzer, Varun Verma, Alec.M. Wodtke*. "Observation of an isomerizing double-well quantum system in the condensed phase." Science 2020 367(6474): 175-178.
- Li Chen*, Dirk Schwarzer, Jascha A. Lau, Varun B. Verma, Martin J. Stevens, Francesco Marsili, Richard P. Mirin, Sae Woo Nam and Alec M. Wodtke*, "Ultra-sensitive mid-infrared emission spectrometer with sub-ns temporal resolution. " Opt Express 2018, 26 (12), 14859-14868. (Spotlight)
- Li Chen, Dirk Schwarzer, Varun B. Verma, Martin J. Stevens, Francesco Marsili, Richard P. Mirin, Sae Woo Nam and Alec M. Wodtke*, "Mid-infrared Laser-Induced Fluorescence with Nanosecond Time Resolution Using a Superconducting Nanowire Single-Photon Detector: New Technology for Molecular Science." Accounts Chem Res 2017, 50 (6), 1400-1409.
- Li Chen, H. Ueta, H. Chadwick, R. D. Beck, The Negligible Role of C–H Stretch Excitation in the Physisorption of CH4 on Pt(111). The Journal of Physical Chemistry C (2014)
- H. Ueta, Li Chen, R. D. Beck, I. Colon-Diaz, B. Jackson, Quantum state-resolved CH4 dissociation on Pt(111): coverage dependent barrier heights from experiment and density functional theory. Phys Chem Chem Phys 15, 20526-20535 (2013).
- Li Chen, H. Ueta, R. Bisson, R. D. Beck, Quantum state-resolved gas/surface reaction dynamics probed by reflection absorption infrared spectroscopy. Rev Sci Instrum 84, (2013) (Editor's picks).
- N. Bartels, K. Golibrzuch, C. Bartels, Li Chen, D. J. Auerbach, A. M. Wodtke, T. Schafer, Observation of orientation-dependent electron transfer in molecule-surface collisions. P Natl Acad Sci USA 110, 17738-17743 (2013)
- Li Chen, H. Ueta, R. Bisson, R. D. Beck, Vibrationally bond-selected chemisorption of methane isotopologues on Pt(111) studied by reflection absorption infrared spectroscopy.Faraday Discuss 157, 285-295 (2012).
Honors & Distinctions
2012 Post-doctoral Research Fellowship at Max Planck Institute, Göttingen, Germany
2004 Merit of Excellence for the thesis (HUST), Hubei province
Title: “Holography and spatial filtering”