Fan Pan MD, Ph.D
Chair-Professor of Cancer Immunology
Director, Department of Bio-Pharmaceuticals
Co-Director, Center for Cancer Immunology
Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology (SIAT),
Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)
1068 Xueyuan Avenue, Xili College Town,
Nanshan, Shenzhen, China 518055.
1985-1990 MD. Shanxi Medical University
1990-1993 M.S. Shanxi Medical University (Preventive Medicine)
1993-1996 Ph.D. Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine (Immunology)
1996-1998 Postdoctoral Fellow, Beijing Medical Center (Beijing Medical University), Beijing University
1998-2000 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Microbiology, University of California, CA
2000-2001 Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
2001.10-2006.06 Research Associate, Department of Pharmacology, Johns Hopkins University
2006.07-2010.10 Research Associate, Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
2010.11-2017. 09 Assistant Professor, Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
2017.10- 2020.01 Associate Professor, Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
2020.02-2020.09 Vice President &CSO of NanoBiotec Inc, NJ
2020.09- present Chair-Professor of Cancer Immunology, Co-Director, Center of Cancer Immunology
Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Tumor immunology and immunotherapy
1. Pan F, Means AR, Liu JO. Calmodulin-dependent protein kinase IV regulates nuclear export of Cabin1 during T-cell activation. EMBO J. 2005 Jun 15;24(12):2104-13.
2. Pan F, Sun L, Kardian DB, Whartenby KA, Pardoll DM, Liu JO. Feedback inhibition of calcineurin and Ras by a dual inhibitory protein Carabin. Nature. 2007 Jan 25;445(7126):433-6.
3. Pan F, Yu H, Dang EV, Barbi J, Liu JO, Ostrowski MC, Pardoll DM. Eos mediates Foxp3-dependent gene silencing in regulatory T cells. Science. 2009 Aug 28;325(5944):1142-6.
4. Dang EV, Barbi J, Yang HY, Jinasena D, Yu H, Zheng Y, Bordman Z, Topalian SL, Semenza GL, Dang CV, Pardoll DM, Pan F. Control of Th17/Treg Balance by Hypoxia-inducible Factor 1. Cell. 2011 Sep 2;146(5):772-84.
5. Pan F, Fan H, Liu Z, Jiang S. T cell signaling targets for enhancing regulatory or effector function. Sci Signal. 2012 Jul 31;5(235):pe32.
6. Chen Z, Barbi J, Bu S, Yang HY, Li Z, Gao Y, Jinasena D, Fu J, Lin F, Chen C, Zhang J, Yu N, Li X, Shan Z, Nie J, Gao Z, Tian H, Li Y, Yao Z, Zheng Y, Park BV, Pan Z, Zhang J, Dang E, Li Z, Wang H, Luo W, Li L, Semenza GL, Zheng SG, Loser K, Tsun A, Greene MI, Pardoll DM. Pan F, Li B. The ubiquitin ligase Stub1 negatively modulates regulatory T cell suppressive activity by promoting degradation of the transcription factor Foxp3. Immunity. 2013 Aug 22;39(2):272-85.
7. Xiong XH, Du ZW, Wang Y, Zhihui Feng, Pan F, Yan C, Willers H, Zhang J. 53BP1 promotes microhomology-mediated end-joining in G1-phase cells. Nucleic Acids Research, 2015 Feb 18;43(3):1659-70.
8. Yang HY, Barbi J, Wu CY, Zheng Y, Park BV, Zhang J, Bandara S, Pardoll DM, Li H, Pan F. The MicroRNA miR-17 modulates regulatory T cell activity by targeting Foxp3 Co-regulators. Immunity. 2016 Jul 19;45(1):83-93.
9. Park BV, Freeman ZT, Ghasemzadeh A, Chattergoon1 MA, Rutebemberwa A, Steigner J, Winter ME, Huynh TV, Sebald SM, Lee SJ, Pan F, Pardoll DM, Cox AL. TGF-β1-mediated Smad3 enhances PD-1 expression on antigen-specific T cells in cancer. Cancer Discovery. 2016 Dec; 6(12):1366-1381. Epub 2016 Sep 28.
10. Ling Lv, Barbi J and Pan F. Regulation of immune tolerance by FOXP3. Nature Review Immunology. 2017, Jul 31. doi: 10.1038/nri.2017.75
11. Ni X, Tao J, Barbi J, Chen Q, Park BV, Li Z, Zhang N, Lebid A, Ramaswamy A, Wei P, Zheng Y, Zhang X, Wu X, Vignali P, Yang CP, Li H, Pardoll D, Lu L, Pan D, Pan F. YAP Is Essential for Treg-Mediated Suppression of Antitumor Immunity. Cancer Discov. 2018 Aug; 8(8):1026-1043
12. Ni X, Kou W, Gu J, Wei P, Wu X, Peng H, Tao J, Yan W, Yang X, Lebid A, Park BV, Chen Z, Tian Y, Fu J, Newman S, Wang X, Shen H, Li B, Blazar BR, Wang X, Barbi J, Pan F, Lu L. (co-corresponding author). TRAF6 directs FOXP3 localization and facilitates regulatory T-cell function through K63-linked ubiquitination. EMBO J. 2019 May 2;38(9). Epub 2019 Mar 18. PMID: 30886050
13. Yang J, Wei P, Barbi J, Huang QR, Yang E, Bai YK, Nie J, Gao YH, Tao JH, Lu Y, Xie CC, Hou XX, Ren JZ, Wu XM, Meng J, Zhang Y, Fu J, Kou W, Yayi Gao, Chen ZJ, Liang R, Tsun A, Li D, Guo WZ, Zhang SJ, Zheng SG, Niu JQ, Galardy P, Tong XM, Shi GC, Li HB, Pan F, Li B. The deubiquitinase USP44 promotes Treg function during inflammation by preventing FOXP3 degradation. EMBO Rep. 2020 Sep 3; 21(9): e50308.
1. “Phenazine derivatives and uses thereof.” WO/2009/042114, Apr. 2, 2009
2. 11/08/13. “Manipulation of Regulatory T Cell and DC Function by Targeting Neuritin Gene Using Antibodies, Agonists and Antagonists”. Application No:14/075566; confirmation No:7307
3. “Novel Inhibitors of CRAC Channel As Immunosuppressants” JHU Ref: C05046.
4. “Targeting YAP activity in combination with immunomodulation to alter Regulatory T cell-mediated immune regulation in order to treat cancer”. 2014 Mintz Ref.: 48317-522001WO. JHU reference #C13353.
5. “Modulating the interaction of Neuritin with Sema4 family molecules to treat or alter Regulatory T cell-mediated immune regulation to treat cancer and autoimmune disease”. 2015. JHU reference #48317-237D01JP
6. “Targeting Activin Signaling Activity in Combination with Immunomodulation to Alter Regulatory T cell-mediated Immune Regulation in order to Treat Cancer.” 2016. JHU Reference: D13915
1. Molecule mechanisms controlling the development, lineage stability and function of T cell subsets
2. Tumor immunology and immuno-therapy
Honors & Distinctions
2008 Co-filed one US patent “Phenazine Derivatives and Uses Thereof”.
2011 Stewart Trust Scholar
2011 “Control of Th17/Treg Balance by Hypoxia-inducible Factor 1. Cell. 2011” included in Nature Medicine’s
Top Ten Discoveries of 2011
2012 Kelly’s Dream Award
2014 DOD New Idea Development Award
2015 JHU Catalyst Award
2017 MRA Established Investigator Award
2017 JHU Discovery Award
2018 New R01
2018 JHU Discovery Award