Water Resources and Numerical Modeling
- Aug. 2001-May 2005 University of Central Florida, Civil Engineering, Ph.D.
- Aug. 1998-Jun. 2000 Tsinghua University, Civil Engineering, M.S.
- Aug. 1994-Jun. 1998 Tsinghua University, Environmental Engineering, B.S.
Associate Editor, ASCE Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, July 2009-present
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Water Resource and Protection, January , 2011-present
Science Editor，Journal of Mountain Science, 2011-present
- Sep. 2009-present Professor, Institute of Tibetan Plateau Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Mar. 2008-Sep. 2009 Research Staff Scientist, Environmental Sciences Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA
- May 2005-Mar. 2008 Research Associate, Environmental Science Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA
- Aug. 2000-May 2005 Research Assistant, University of Central Florida, USA
Master and Ph.D supervisor since 2010
Honors & Distinctions
- Best Paper Award, GeoShanghai 2010, 2010
- Hundred Talent Award, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2010
- Who’sWho in America, Marguis Who’sWho , 2009
- Zhang, F.*, H. Zhang, S. C. Hagen, M. Ye, D. Wang, D. Gui, C. Zeng, L. Tian, J. Liu. Snow cover and runoff modeling in a high mountain catchment with scarce data: effects of temperature and precipitation parameters. Hydrological Processes. 29, 52–65 (2015)
- Shi, X., T. Lei, F. Zhang, and Y. Yan. Velocity measurement of water flow within gravel layer with electrolyte tracer method under virtual boundary condition. Journal of Hydrology. 527, 387–393(2015)
- Shi, X., F. Zhang*, L. Tian, D.R. Joswiak, C. Zeng, D. Qu,. Tracing Contributions to Hydro-isotopic Differences between Two Adjacent Lakes in the Southern Tibetan Plateau. Hydrological Processes. 28, 5503–5512 (2014)
- Zhang, H., F. Zhang*, X. Shi, C. Zeng, D.-S. Shih, G.-T. Yeh, D.R. Joswiak. Influence of River Channel Geometry in Stream Flow Modeling and Guidelines for Field Investigation. Hydrological Processes. 28(4): 2630-2638 (2014).
- Wang, G., X. Yan*, F. Zhang, C. Zeng, D. Gao. Traffic-Related Trace Element Accumulation in Roadside Soils and Wild Grasses in the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, China. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 11, 456-472 (2014)
- Zeng, C.*, F. Zhang, Y. Chen, D. R. Joswiak. Impact of alpine meadow degradation on soil hydraulic properties over the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Journal of Hydrology. 478: 148-156 (2013).
- Zeng, C., Q. Wang*, F. Zhang, J. Zhang. Temporal changes in soil hydraulic conductivity with different soil types and irrigation methods. Geoderma, 193-194: 290-299 (2013).
- Yeh, G.T.*, J.-P. Gwo, M. D. Siegel, M.-H. Li, Y. Fang, F. Zhang, W. Luo, S. B. Yabusaki. Innovative mathematical modeling in environmental remediation. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity.119, 26–38 (2013).
- Yan, X., F. Zhang*, D. Gao, C. Zeng, W. Xiang and M. Zhang. Accumulations of Heavy Metals in Roadside Soils Close to Zhaling, Eling and Nam Co Lakes in the Tibetan Plateau. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 10(6), 2384-2400 (2013).
- Yan, X.*, D. Gao, F. Zhang, C. Zeng, W. Xiang and M. Zhang. Relationships between Heavy Metal Concentrations in Roadside Topsoil and Distance to Road Edge Based on Field Observations in the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, China. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 10(3), 762-775 (2013)
- Zhang, F.*, G. T. Yeh, J.C. Parker, H. Zhang, X. Shi1, C. Wang, R.Gu. A reaction-based river/stream water quality model: reaction network decomposition and model application. Terrestrial, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences. 23(5): 605-620 (2012).
- Shi, X.* and F. Zhang. A preliminary study on measurement of sediment concentration in hill-slope runoff with electrolyte tracer. Terrestrial, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences. 23(5), 597-604 (2012).
- Zeng, C. Q. Wang*, F. Zhang. Evaluation of hydraulic parameters obtained by different measurement methods for heterogeneous gravel soil. Terrestrial, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences. 23(5): 585-596 (2012).
- Yan, X., F. Zhang*, C. Zeng, M. Zhang, L.P. Devkota, T. Yao. Relationship between Heavy-Metal Content of Soil and Corresponding Grass in Roadside Farmland. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 9(9):3209-3226 (2012).
- Shi, X., F. Zhang, T. Lei*, R. Chuo, S. Zhou, Y. Yan. Measuring Shallow Water Flow Velocity with Virtual Boundary Condition Signal in the Electrolyte Tracer Method. Journal of Hydrology. 452-453:172-179 (2012).
- Shi, X., W. Chen, F. Zhang, and L. Wu*. Simulating Bromide transport from soil to overland flow: application and evaluation of interfacial diffusion-controlled model. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering. 2012, 17(5): 628-634.
- Zhang, F.*, X. Yan, C. Zeng, M. Zhang, S. Shrestha, L. P. Devkota, and T. Yao. Influence of Traffic Activity on Heavy Metal Concentration of Roadside Farmland Soil in Mountainous Areas. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 9(5): 1715-1731 (2012).
- Zhang, F.*, W. Luo, J.C. Parker, S.C. Brooks, D. B. Watson, P. M. Jardine and B. Gu. Modeling uranium transport in acidic contaminated groundwater with base addition. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 190: 863–868 (2011).
- Tang, G.,* E. F. D'Azevedo, F. Zhang, J. C. Parker, D. B. Watson and P. M. Jardine. Application of A Hybrid MPI/OpenMP Approach for Parallel Groundwater Model Calibration on Multi-Core Computers. Computers and geosciences. 36: 1451–1460 (2010) .
- Zhang, F.*, Wu, W.-M., Jack C. Parker, Tonia Mehlhorn, Shelly D. Kelly, Kenneth M. Kemner, Gengxin Zhang, Christopher Schadt, Scott C. Brooks, Craig S. Criddle, David B. Watson, Philip M. Jardine.. Kinetic analysis and modeling of oleate and ethanol stimulated uranium (VI) bio-reduction in contaminated sediments under sulfate reduction conditions. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 183: 482-489 (2010)
- Zhang, F.*, J. C. Parker, S. C. Brooks, D. B. Watson, P. M. Jardine and B. Gu. Prediction of uranium and technetium sorption during titration of contaminated acidic groundwater. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 178: 42-48 (2010).
- Zhang, F.* and J. C. Parker. An Efficient Modeling Approach to Simulate Heat Transfer rate between Fracture and Matrix Regions for Oil Shale Retorting. Transport in porous media. 84:229-240 (2010).
- Yeh, G. T.*, Y. Fang, F. Zhang, J. Sun, Y. Li, M. H. Li, and M. D. Siegel. "Numerical Modeling of Coupled Fluid Flow and Thermal and Reactive Biogeochemical Transport in Porous and Fractured Media". Computational Geosciences. 14(1): 149-170. (2010).
- Mayes, M. A.*, G. Tang, P. M. Jardine, L. D. McKay, X. L. Yin, M. N. Pace, J. C. Parker, F. Zhang, T. L. Melhorn and R. Dansby-Sparks. Influence of Sedimentary Bedding on Reactive Transport Parameters under Unsaturated Conditions. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 73:1938-1946 (2009)
- Zhang, F.*, J. C. Parker, S. C. Brooks, Y.-J. Kim, P. M. Jardine and D. B. Watson. Comparison of Approaches to Calibrate a Surface Complexation Model for U(VI) Sorption to Weathered Saprolite. Transport in Porous Media Journal. 78 (2): 185-197. (2009)
- Zhang, F.*, W. Luo, J. C. Parker, B. P. Spalding, S. C. Brooks, D. B. Watson, P. M. Jardine, and B. Gu Geochemical Modeling of Reactions and Partitioning of Trace Metals and Radionuclides during Titration of Contaminated Acidic Sediments. Environmental Science and Technology. 42 (21): 8007-8013 (2008).
- Yan X.*, E. Radwan, F. Zhang, and J. C. Parker. Evaluation of Dynamic Passing Sight Distance Problem Using a Finite Element Model. Journal of Transportation Engineering. 134:225-235. (2008).
- Zhang, F.*, G. T. Yeh, J. C. Parker, and P. M. Jardine. "A reaction-based river/stream water quality model: Model development and numerical schemes". Journal of Hydrology. 348: 496-509 (2008).
- Zhang, F.*, L. Jiang, G. T. Yeh, and J. C. Parker. "An Adaptive Local Grid Refinement and Peak/Valley Capture Algorithm to Solve Nonlinear Transport Problems with Moving Sharp-Fronts". Transport in Porous Media Journal. 72: 53-69. (2008).
- Zhang, F.*, W. Luo, D. B. Watson, J. C. Parker, B. Gu, B. P. Spalding and P. M. Jardine. A reactive transport model to simulate uranium immobilization through pH manipulation. Geochimica et cosmochimica acta. 72(12): Meeting abstract A1080- A1080 (2008).
- Zhang, F., J. C. Parker, W. Luo, B. Gu, B. P. Spalding, S. C. Brooks, D. B. Watson, and P. M. Jardine*. Subsurface transport and biogeochemistry modeling at IFC site, Oak Ridge, TN. Abstract of Papers of the American Chemical Society, 236: GEOC 48.(2008).
- Jardine, P. M., D. B. Watson, G. Baker, C.C. Brandt, S.C. Brooks, C.S. Criddle, C.T. Gaten, B. Gu, J. Horita, S.S. Hubbard, S. Kelly, K. Kemner, P. K. Kitanidis, J. Kostka, J. Luo, A.V. Palumbo, J.C. Parker, T.J. Phelps, C.W. Schadt, B.P. Spalding, W.N. Wu, F. Zhang, and J. Zhou. Research Highlights and Future Directions of the Oak Ridge Integrated Field Research Challenge Project: Implications to Future EM Remedial Decisions and Strategies. Abstract of Papers of the American Chemical Society, 236: NUCL 84. (2008).
- Zhang, F.*, G. T. Yeh, J. C. Parker, S. C. Brooks, M. N. Pace, Y.-J. Kim, P. M. Jardine, and D. B. Watson. "A reaction-based paradigm to model reactive chemical transport in groundwater with general kinetic and equilibrium reactions". Journal of Contaminant Hydrology. 92: 10-32 (2007).